Emily Record is a lifelong athlete, playing rugby for a number of club and collegiate teams including Drexel University, Philly Women, and has experience on various all star teams. Record retired from her career as a player shortly after finding CrossFit in 2011 and is currently a full time coach at CrossFit Center City, as well as head coach of the University of Pennsylvania women’s club rugby team. Since starting CrossFit, Record has taken an eager interest in two components of CrossFit-style training: Strongman Sport and Competitive CrossFit. She has qualified for the Regionals level in the Mid-Atlantic Region three times as an individual. As much as she loves competing in CrossFit, Emily Record also thoroughly enjoys bringing the fulfillment she derives from being active to the athletes she teaches.
What is your athletic/professional background? I started playing rugby in 2001, and played for over 10 years. I studied computer engineering in school, but after 7 years at a desk decided it wasn’t for me.
List any notable athletic achievements:
Individual competitor at Regionals 2012 and 2013
Team alternate for Regionals 2014
What are your goals as a Coach. Where do you feel your strengths lie? I want to empower others.
What is CrossFit to you (or weightlifting)? Training is a lifestyle.
What is your most memorable CrossFit/weightlifting moment? Athletically it was probably when I cleaned 200# for the first time. As a coach, it’s any time I get to watch someone do something they thought they couldn’t, whether it’s their first unassisted pull-up, they hit a PR they didn’t expect that day, or are able to complete a workout they had planned on scaling as RXd.
What are your goals as an athlete? To become faster, stronger, and better.
What are your hobbies outside of training? Rugby, hiking, reading.
What is your favorite Philly restaurant? anywhere that is not my kitchen.
- CrossFit, Level 1 Certification
- CrossFit Strongman Trainer
- USA Rugby Level 1 and 2 (Introducing Rugby, and Developing the Game)
- FuBarbell Olympic Lifting Coaching Seminar
- Moving Beyond Mobility Workshop, studying and shadowing under Dr. Perry Nickelston
- MovNat Poser and Agility Workshop
- Mike McKenna Strongman Seminar
- First Aid/CPR
- Optimizing the Big 3 with Greg Robbins (Cressey Sports Performance)
- Olympic Weightlifting Seminars with Lydia Valentin, John Broz
- First Aid/CPR
- OPEX CCP Level 1 Associate Coach in progress (Completed: Assessment, Program Design, Life Coaching, Business Systems, In Progress: Nutrition)
Record currently coaches:
CrossFit, Strongman, Squatting
Personal Training with Record:
$75/hour – please inquire about availability by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.