Member of the month – Elise Conway!
Congratulations, Elise Conway!
Once a month, our community votes to recognize a single member who embodies the spirit of CrossFit Center City. He/she is someone who has a good attitude, even on the toughest days, is always there to lend support to fellow athletes, and generally goes the extra mile to help build our community to become even more awesome. When it’s time to vote, we send a reminder email out to the entire crew, but if you ever see another member do something really cool for you or the gym in general, feel free to shoot us an email at email@example.com or leave a note in the box to tell us what happened! Our Member of the Month is always awarded a FREE month of membership to CFCC. Check out all of our past Members of the month here!
What some of you had to say about Elise!
“It is often difficult to get recognized as a morning person but Elise is truly deserving of the MOTM title. If you don’t know her, get to know her. She shows up consistently (unless it’s a weekend), always has a smile on her face, and gets. things. done. It’s been amazing to see the progress she’s made in just a few short months. Double unders? Check. Pull ups? No problem. Handstand push ups? Uh huh. Even her math skills have gotten better. Elise has always pushed me to go a little harder, peer pressured me to go a little heavier, and been there when I needed someone to complain about wall balls to. She puts in the time to work on things when the rest of us don’t want to and the progress clearly shows. Congrats Elise! You’ve earned this.” -Jen K.
“Elise is always a ray of sunshine in Wednesday morning class! She brings a positive attitude that makes getting up for more bearable! Congrats :)” – Katherine D.
“This award could not have gone to someone more deserving. Elise is the pillar of the 7 a.m. The queen bee. Without her, it’s nothing. For over the past year, Elise has quietly gone about her business. Gradually scaling up workouts until – as now – she is a force to be reckoned with. No longer to be taken for granted, Elise crushes pull-ups, DUs, and everything else in her path. As I’ve recently come to learn, Elise is even a good WW player, tying for first in her first ever game. She’s also a really swell gal. Congrats, Elise!!” -JPap
“Elise is the type of person to send you a funny meme in the morning. Tell you a bar looks too light during the strength. Crush the WOD. Then suggest Brunch. She’s core to the 7 a.m. and this is way way overdue. She has had a heavy hand in the creation of the cure and always has a smile (albeit asleep) early in the morning. She will push other to do their best, even if math is hard that early in the morning, and constantly work on her weaknesses – she now routinely crushes the whole pull up thing like it’s nothing. She has a fun attitude, great TV show recs, and recently delivered an outstanding performance during the in-house comp where she reminded contestant to avoid bro-reps at all times. She’s part of what makes CFCC feel like a hang out among friends and this is incredibly well-deserved. Her being member of the month makes so much sense as we head into the open and lends credence to the rumours that there might be a showdown between her and another female athlete…Also, she’s a boss baker, seriously ask her about it, maybe ask her for some. Congrats Elise!” – Diego
“Congrats Elise! The grind would not be the same without your rockstar energy, focus on the WOD, and tolerance for Diego’s terrible salsa/merengue music! Elise is always trying to get in a few extra sets / movements in after class and makes the morning crew a little less intimidating for drop-ins / recent foundations grads. Member of the month recognition is long over due!” – Kevin B
“So well deserved! It’s been so much fun to watch Elise evolve from a shy new member to an integral part of the morning crew, and transform as an athlete who now crushes pull-ups and the assault bike in metcons. Her consistency and dedication are inspiring and her smile and friendly disposition brighten up the mornings at CFCC. :)” – Alyssa
“Elise – always cheerful, energetic, and awake at 7AM. Also probably the only person who enjoys reverse burpees. But, great athlete and friend. Very deserving CFCC Member of the Month!!!!” – Nick V.
Congrats from the Coaches!
“Elise…..put more weight on the bar.” -Tim
“Elise has great energy in classes. She always shows up ready to work and in great spirits. She’s a silent killer in the metcons and its good to see her getting recognition for her steady, hard work!” – Morgan
“Hooray Elise! Elise is amazing, and everyone but her will tell you so. She is a bright and welcoming presence at the 7am, making newcomers feel immediately welcome and veterans feel like they’re in their favorite place. She’s stronger than she knows, faster than she thinks, and a better person to have as part of our little family than I could hope for. Congratulations!” – Justin
“Elise is one of the easiest athletes to coach. She works so hard and is an integral part of the community here at cfcc. She is also the queen of inverted burpees!” – Zoda
“If CFCC superlatives were a thing.. Elise would be most likely to smile during a workout while crushing you at the same time. She has a great attitude, works hard and is stronger than she knows!” – Wylie
Some more about Elise!
1. What do you do when you’re not at the gym? Your profession? I work at an advertising/branding firm around the corner from CFCC, so most of my non-gym time is spent there. When I’m not at work or the gym, I can usually be found relaxing with friends, maybe watching tv or celebrating wine time.
2. How did you find out about CF? Through my dad. He is an avid crossfitter and when I was visiting him a few Christmases ago when he signed me up for a intro class. Ignoring the fact that it was a 6am class while I was on holiday, I ended up really enjoying it. When I got back to Philly, I looked for my closest gym and CFCC was it! I started foundations that January, and have been a 7am-er ever since.
3. What makes you come in and train on days that you don’t want to? Knowing that if I skip a day, my friends will give me a hard time about it. It is the one thing that really motivates me on the days when I otherwise would have continued to sleep. I also find that I sleep much better if I’ve worked out that day, so I know it the long run it’s better to drag myself out of bed.
4. What’s your favorite movement and/or metcon I haven’t really thought about my favorite movements, just the ones I don’t like! I enjoy HSPUs (working on getting down to no mats), and I’m finally able to do pull-ups so that’s been a lot of fun (as much as pull-ups can be fun).
5. What’s one thing you would like to accomplish within CF in the next year I’m slowly moving to being able to do most movements Rx, so I’d really like to get my ring dips and HSPUs down to no bands or mats respectively. I’ve also been working on feeling more comfortable snatching, but that’s more of an ongoing battle!
6. Name something about you that’s a little-known fact. I am an avid Stephen King fan.
Great work and keep it up, Elise!!