It’s PEAK WEEK! But not really… it’s the week before the CrossFit Total (all day SUNDAY) and that is an ENTIRELY different matter, friends!
If you haven’t signed up yet – there are seven spots left! Sign up now!
“The CrossFit Total reflects an athlete’s functional strength capacity more accurately than any other test” – Mark Rippetoe. The CrossFit Total is the sum of the best of three attempts at the squat, the press, and the deadlift. The “Total” part for each person comes from adding up the top lift in each category: so, if I deadlift 300, squat 200, and press 100, my CrossFit Total equals 600. Got it? Good. We’ll be doing this in hour-and-a-half long heats, with 12 athletes in each heat. You’ll have some warm-up time, and then 3 attempts at a max for each of the three lifts. You need to be on your barbell and ready to go on the dot for your heat’s starting time. That means you need to come in BEFORE your heat starts for foam rolling, mobilizing, and general warm up. At the start of your heat, you will first broad jump, then deadlift, then squat, and then, finally, press. You will have some time within your heat to do some warm up sets for the individual lifts. Coaches will be present throughout the day to spot, advise on lifts and jumps, and to generally help athletes to do their utmost. This is ALSO CFCC’s Halloween bash – so costumes of all kinds are STRONGLY encouraged – especially since we’ll give out a small prize for the best one on the day of. Lastly, the gym opens at 830a for warm ups.
If you’re looking to maximize your results this Sunday, you’d do well to do the following:
- Rest and Recover – make sure you get plenty of good quality sleep and that you don’t eat or do anything out of sorts close to the day.
- Prime and Activate - the Programming for this week is not TECHNICALLY Peak Week typical. It’s meant to taper up til Sunday and will allow you to reach that day without any soreness and LOTS of pent-up energy (ideally). Stay fast this week and try to stay away from any slow reps.
- Don’t worry about what you’ll work up to on Sunday unless you want to. If you know exactly what you want to get out of Sunday number-wise, feel free to let your Coaches on the day of know and they’ll do everything they can to prep you. Otherwise, don’t stress about it and a Coach at each station will get you properly set up for your best.
- Consider eating more carbs than normal on Saturday (this doesn’t mean binge… it just means if you wanna have some maple syrup with your sweet potatoes – I bet you’ll feel crazy good come deadlifting time on Sunday).
- Be prepared – have your costume, your shoes, your deadlift socks, your breakfast, your sign-up time, your kids/dog taken care of well before the day so that you can rest easy on the day of. Also, make sure you’re camera ready as we’ll have a pro photographer there ready to record EVERYTHING that happens. No pressure.
- Get ready to eat :) We’ll be ordering BBQ from Sweet Lucy’s Smokehouse to be delivered around noon on Sunday and if you’d like to hang out, watch, eat, and generally cheer your fellow CFCCers along – we want you to stay!
ENDURANCE (Running) 7am, with Ave
ENDURANCE (Rowing) 530pm, with Ave
HYBRID/ADVANCED OLY with Jim at 530pm.
ADVANCED OLY with Jim at 730pm.
FOUNDATIONS with Sammy, at 630pm.
GYMNASTICS with Sammy, at 730pm.
SELF-MYOFASCIAL RELEASE: Foam Roll as needed, 3 minutes. Lax Ball Hip Flexors and Quads, 2 minutes each side.
MOVEMENT PREP: THE BIG HIP WARM-UP: Take 30ft. and complete as pass of the following: 2 High Knee Passes, 2 Butt Kick Passes, 1 90/90 to Chest Pulls, 1 Toy Soldier, 1 Over the Fence/Under the Fence, 1 Duck Walk Pass, 1 Inchworm Pass, 2 High Skip Passes
ACTIVATION: Splitting the group up into two teams, yoke walks. Try as much weight as you can, and when it gets too heavy for one on a team, try walking together. – 15
STRENGTH: Back Squat, Work up to 85% of your best back squat and then complete: 5 Singles at that weight, every other minute for 10 minutes.